Skip to Main ContentCOE HomeSDSU Home

Search I&I News

Monday, August 20, 2018

Graduate Fellowship Brings Out-of-State Students to SDSU

Erin Daddio
The Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship was established to recruit non-resident graduate students who demonstrate outstanding potential for achievement in research or creative activity.

Erin Daddio is one of them.

Daddio moved to San Diego from Plainsboro, New Jersey, to pursue a master’s in Dual Language and English Learner Education: Critical Literacy and Social Justice Specialization.

“After the initial feeling of surprise, I felt, and continue to feel, very honored to have been nominated and awarded the fellowship,” said Daddio, who grew up in Ohio. “I’ve wanted to go to graduate school since I completed my bachelor’s and my goal was to just get into the Dual Language Education program. When I found out I got a fellowship on top of that, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.”

The Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship awards provide a waiver of non-resident tuition for the first year of a San Diego State University graduate program. The awards are renewable subject to good academic standing and program recommendation—five semesters for master’s students and 10 semesters for doctoral students.

“We were very excited since this award helps make it possible for out-of-state students to attend,” said Dr. Tamara Collins-Parks, a faculty member in the College of Education’s Department of Dual Language and English Learner Education. “Erin was in a summer class with me and has lived up to her promise as a phenomenal student.”

Daddio worked with preschool bilingual students in Plainsboro and has been incorporating native language development into her classroom. She said her career has focused in early childhood education, specifically preschool, and she plans to continue that focus in her research.

“I’m currently very interested in the Universal Preschool movement,” Daddio said.

The Universal Preschool movement aims to make access to preschool education available to all families using public funds.

Daddio said once she completes the program, she plans on teaching and using what she’s learned to benefit her students and their families.

“I want to eventually work with preschools and support them in their teacher and staff professional development and improving their community and family relationships,” Daddio said.

More information awards can be found on the Presidential Graduate Research Fellowship website.