Skip to Main ContentCOE HomeSDSU Home

Search I&I News

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Doctoral Student Named National Scholar

Alex Gonzalez
A teaching associate and doctoral student at San Diego State University has been named a national scholar by a group of colleges and universities in the United States.

Alex Gonzalez, in his second year in the College of Education’s Department of Educational Leadership doctoral program, was named a scholar by the University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA) Jackson Scholars Network. Gonzalez is the second doctoral student from SDSU to be selected for this prestigious program.  COE alum Dr. Ricardo Cooke was selected to participate during the 2013-15 program.

Established in 2003, the UCEA Jackson Scholars Network is a two-year program that offers participants networking, mentoring and professional development for doctoral students of color seeking to become professors of educational leadership. The program was named after the late Dr. Barbara L. Jackson who was a leader, scholar and mentor in the field educational administration for over 50 years.

“I am extremely excited to be a part of such an amazing opportunity. I have connected with my mentor…and that initial conversation opened my mind and eyes to a new perspective,” said Gonzales, 30. “I appreciate being part of the Jackson Scholars experience because I believe that it will allow me to learn how to navigate the opportunities of professorship and give me the chance to further connect with other scholars that I can relate to and learn from.”

Gonzalez is a technology program manager for two local charter schools, a middle and a high school. In this position, he oversees all of the technology along with teacher professional development in the area of technology integration.

At the COE, Gonzalez is exploring Professional Learning Networks, their elements, how they work, and what impact they have on teacher professional development and their classes. He is currently teaching an online course on professional development to teachers in the administration credential program.

“This has allowed me to explore teaching at this capacity and level, and I really enjoy it,” added Gonzalez, who loves taking out his paddle boards in open water in La Jolla and is also a singer in a local metal band. “It is amazing to not only provide instruction but also learn from adult learners as they share and express their own experiences at their sites and throughout their careers. This allows me to open up myself to different perspectives and analyze trends.”