Skip to Main ContentCOE HomeSDSU Home

Search I&I News

Monday, August 27, 2018

Welcome from Dean Chung

Dean Chung
Welcome to the 2018-19 academic year! I am excited to share with you many new happenings this year. SDSU has a new President (Dr. Adela de la Torre), a new Interim Provost (our former Dean, Dr. Joseph Johnson), 3 new Deans (including myself), and 4 Interim Deans. Our College has 3 new Chairs/Directors (Dr. Lynne Bercaw for the School of Teacher Education, Dr. Margarita Machado-Casas for the Department of Dual Language and English Learner Education, and Dr. Rafaela Santa Cruz for the Joint Ph.D. Program in Education). Additionally, we have 12 new faculty members this year. The excitement is in the air, and we anticipate a lot of new ideas and initiatives coming out this year and beyond.

As the new Dean of the College of Education, I want to share some of my thoughts on leading the College going forward. First, I value transparency, consensus building, consultation, shared governance, community and team building, multicultural affirmation, and social justice. These values will guide how I would like to engage the College in decision-making, communications, and actions. I am here to support all faculty, staff, and students to achieve academic excellence and to make a positive impact through our research, education, and service. We will strengthen existing and establish new partnerships in our local, regional, national, and international communities. We will make our education and service more accessible to San Diego students, underrepresented groups, as well as students around the world.

Student success will be a central focus of our work. I value all student input, and will engage our faculty and staff in all efforts to meet our students’ needs. I encourage you to stop by our monthly Coffee/Tea with the Dean, where you can share with me and other students your experiences and wishes for the College of Education.

Finally, I want to share how excited I am to be part of this amazing community. Our faculty, staff, and students in the College of Education are truly impressive. According to the U.S. News and World Report’s 2019 rankings, our College is ranked #1 in San Diego County and in the CSU system, #7 among all universities in California, and #43 among all public universities nationally.  I hope you will enjoy your experience in the College of Education at SDSU.

Y. Barry Chung
Dean