Skip to Main ContentCOE HomeSDSU Home

Search I&I News

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

#SDSUGrad Spotlight: Kate McClure

Kate McClure


San Diego State University’s community has shown its true resilience during this unprecedented and difficult time in human history. 

Graduates from the Class of 2020, in particular, have risen to the challenge. 

In this series, we highlight graduates as they prepare to embark on the next chapter of their lives, including those who have secured jobs and internships or are moving into advanced studies. SDSU Career Services continues to offer resources for students, including the new online career platform Handshake and expanded virtual programming and advising

Kate McClure 
Major: Child and Family Development 


Can you describe a little bit about yourself and how/when you decided to pursue child and family development as an area of study? 

I began my journey at SDSU as a speech, language and hearing sciences major. After learning more about the opportunities available in the child and family development program, I found that this was the field of study I wanted to learn more about. I knew from early on in my life that I wanted to work with children developing atypically. I wanted to find a field of study where I would learn about developmental milestones across the human lifespan.

When did you begin your job search and what did that process entail? What were you specifically looking for when searching job openings? 

I began by checking the SDSU Career Services page and discovered that all SDSU students and alumni have access to Handshake, a platform used for connecting with employers and other opportunities. I created an account, uploaded my professional résumé, and easily applied to dozens of jobs with the click of a button.

When did you receive your official job offer and what was your reaction when you received the offer?  

A few days after submitting my application for job opportunities as a registered behavior technician, several applied behavior analysis therapy companies reached out to me to set up a time for a virtual interview. At the end of my first interview at Butterfly Effects, I received a job offer. I accepted within a week.

What advice do you have for fellow students, regardless of their field, looking to jump start their career and land their first job post-graduation? 

I would suggest getting firsthand experiences in the field that you are interested in. Thanks to the Department of Child and Family Development, I was able to try out different internships at the SDSU Children’s Center, Hearst Elementary School, Ocean Beach Elementary School and Adams Elementary School. By trying out different internships, and by gaining experience working with children of all abilities, I learned what types of work I could see myself pursuing post-graduation. 

What is it that you are most looking forward to as you kick start this next chapter? 

I look forward to using my bachelor’s degree, passing my registered behavior technician online certification exam and furthering my knowledge working as a compassionate professional with children who have autism. I aim to create a respectful environment that promotes meaningful learning opportunities and experiences that are individualized to each child and family I work to support. 

What experience at SDSU has changed your life the most? 

An influential experience that touched my life was living and working in Asia for six weeks and educating myself on other cultures. Throughout my time teaching abroad, I learned about other perspectives that differ from my own. By traveling to Tampaksiring, Indonesia and staying in the same village as my students, I felt empowered. I learned about privilege and ways I can lift others up by using empathy.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? 

The best pieces of advice I have ever received have been from my parents. They have always been supportive, and I look to them for stability and unconditional love. Throughout my time at SDSU, they have taught me that all I can do is my best. I have received nothing but love and encouragement from my parents and without them, I would not have the confidence in myself that I have today.

This story was originally published on SDSU NewsCenter.