Skip to Main ContentCOE HomeSDSU Home

Search I&I News

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Welcome from the Dean

Dean Y. Barry Chung
As the new academic year kicks off here in the College of Education, I think it’s only natural to dwell on what we don’t see. In ordinary times, the San Diego State University campus would be bustling with activity as students and faculty return to campus. Of course, because of the harsh realities of COVID-19, that’s not possible right now. 

As I look forward, however, I greet this unusual new beginning with optimism and a renewed sense of purpose. The fact is, what we do here has never felt more essential than it feels right now.

Over the past several months, we’ve watched as our nation has been rocked by two crises — one a global pandemic, the other the lingering scourge of systemic racism and injustice laid bare by the death of George Floyd and so many others. Both crises required we take action, and I invite you to read more about how we responded in our college’s 2020 Impact Report

Now, it is time to do even more. It is time to amplify the voices of our Black faculty, students and staff to ensure that teaching anti-racism and combating anti-Blackness are entwined in everything we do. It is time to innovate in the face of COVID-19 to ensure that the virtual learning and experiences we provide adequately prepare our future teachers, administrators, counselors and therapists to impact lives for the better. 

Let’s rise to these challenges together. To our students, know that all of us in the College are here for you and are rooting for you to succeed. In fact, I hope you’ll join me this semester for Coffee & Tea with the Dean so I can learn more about your stories. To our faculty and staff, know that the dedication you show every day through uncertainty and unforeseen challenges matters a great deal to so many. And to our community partners, alumni and friends, know that while our campus is unusually quiet, we’re still here — still making a difference when it matters most. I hope you’ll join us. 

I wish you all a happy, healthy and productive 2020-21 Academic Year. 

Y. Barry Chung, PhD 
Dean